Adventures in Quilting

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

When my friend Jenelle offered a quilting class this summer I jumped at the chance to expand my sewing "skills". I decided that I would make a quilt for our guest bed in the basement.
A picture of the "blue blob bed" prior to its transformation.
Word to the wise - you may not want to try a queen size quilt for your first quilting adventure, it was a bit more than I had anticipated, but it turned out alright in the end.
This was my "inspiration" pillow. I already had a navy bed skirt and goldenrod sheets so it made sense (and cents) to stay within this color pallet.
The basic elements of the quilt prior to construction...
Completed!!!!

I had a few squares and scraps left over after sewing the quilt (as well as an unused body pillow) so I decided to create a "custom cover" to finish off the bed. I am pretty happy with how it turned out given that I had to create my own pattern!
So there you have it. I finished in just in time for our quests to arrive from WI!
On to my next project... a duvet cover for our super king bed!

2 comments:

PAPA said...

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I can still hear that sewing machine humming. GREAT JOB LIZ. Can't wait to see it in person next month.

Sara said...

You ROCK Liz! It looks really nice. YOu have some mad Becky Homeky skills! :)(I have no idea how you spell that)