The Haircut Solution

Thursday, August 20, 2009

I love that Audra and Phoebe have inherited my curly hair but it also drives me CRAZY to "do" it every morning (spray with water, comb, spray with conditioner, comb - repeat multiple times all while listening to Audra cry and say "comb it slower mom"). Phoebe's hair is easier because it is shorter but also curlier... but anyway that is fodder for a different post.
I had been toying with the idea of cutting Audra's hair for some time when I heard of a kids "hair salon" called the Hairy Elephant here in STL. So I made an appointment and took Audra in on Monday...
She was so excited 1) to get her hair cut by a real hair lady and "not you mom" 2) to have a little time with me by herself and most importantly 3) to go to the ice cream store afterward to get some "green ice cream" (mint chocolate chip) for being such a grown-up girl.
Audra loved that she got to choose a place to sit while getting her hair cut. Since they did not have a "princess car" she decided the Jeep would be "fine". Luckily, Jozie the stylist had a Princess Barbie movie for Audra to watch while she was getting the cut.
Audra's first look at her "brand new hair". She was a little unsure in the beginning...
She has since decided that she likes her hair because she looks like June from the Little Einsteins (pictured with her here). She actually asked me today if her hair can be short for a long time because "I kinda like it this way".
As for our morning battles... they are a thing of the past. Audra commented Tuesday morning while we were getting ready "Hey mom, I didn't even cry today when you combed my hair. I must be getting old"... yes, Audra something like that...

4 comments:

PAPA said...

GREAT, GREAT, GREAT, it reminds me so much of you at that age. I have always been a fan of short hair.

okgirl57 said...

Way to go Audra!

Lisa said...

I love it! She looks like such a big girl now.
And, good job to Audra for being such a good girl while getting it cut.

Anonymous said...

Audra,
I love your hair cut and way to hold out for ice cream. You deserve it.
Love
Grandma Debbie